Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mills worte to his Grandmother on July 10, 2007......

Oh Sity,

You are such an encouragement and blessing to me. I am constantly telling
Gabriel stories of you and all the funny memories. I just sat down to a
cup of coffee and am about to fix lunch. The team from Stellenboshe
University just left, they left us with a ton of food! Tons of canned
fruit which is expensive here. Also Rusks; I didn't know what they were
till I was here. They are these really hard pieces of bread that you dip
in your coffee and tea. They are so good.

We usually eat a lot of bread, but recently the baker in Chiconono was put
in prison. We have resorted to scrounging off the team, and now they are
gone. Thankfully they left us with plenty of stuff to manage till he gets
out.

I'm glad things are going well at home, It's so funny being so far away.
When the team left today we carried about 10 big bags of trash to a burn
pile. About 50 kids from the village came and tried to open the bags. They
wanted to desperately to have the trash inside. Even the bags themselves
are valuable to them. We told them not to touch them and if anyone stole
something that none of them would get anything until he was caught. Sure
enough one boy grabbed something and ran. All these little boys
dragged him back and we made him go home empty handed. The team stayed in
a few big military tents, and we had the boys take them down and put them
away, then we let them sift through the trash for tin containers and
plastic bags. Things like that really are treasure for them because they
are so useful and rare. Then we burned the rest. They were so thankful to
have our trash, and they worked for it.

We are bricking a house here, that will eventually be a guest house. We
usually have 10 boys who come and help move bricks just so that they can
have a ride on the back of a car or in one. It's humbling to think that
people would work all day just do hop on the back of a truck.

Gabe and I are getting along well and we both have finicky stomachs! Will
you tell Moultrie to check his Email, and make sure he is keeping the file
size low. Thanks!

Love and Miss you,
Mills
>

1 comment:

Scott D. said...

Mills,
Great hearing all your reports. Know that you and Gabe are in my prayers. Tell that oak hello for me, and tell him that I love him.

Did you see Siyabonga in Fish Hoek?

I'll pray for your language study. Figure out if there is a way I can send some things to Gabe for me. Thanks bro,

for His glory
scott