Monday, July 9, 2007

Mills writes on July 8, 2007.........

Dear Dad,

This is in response to your email, I am writing in on Sunday Morning here, so you may receive it Sunday night there, but who knows?

That sounds great about the email and the Blog, I won't be able to check it unless I can find internet in Lichinga. I'll make sure you know what emails to post. I'll try and give an update every week or so.

I'm going to try and explain the email to the best of my knowledge. We use radio frequnecy to transmit a binary version of the email we type. So I type an email, our modem converts it to binary, and we bounce a radio signal off the Stratosphere into a very small diameter of an area in South Africa. They then email it to you. The speed is very slow, and the radio we use is basically a glorified CB radio like the one in my car.

Please pass the email along to all the guys. Make sure they know not to include any pictures or links or anything. They need to keep the size low. Only text. Also tell them to put my name in the Subject because there are like 6 people who use the address.

Yes the Team from Fish Hoek left, but there is a team from Stellenboche University in SA. They are Africans speaking, and all white. It is really interesting. The language is a lot like German, but a lot of people in and around Cape Town speak it. Most of them speak pretty good English though. They will leave on Tuesday.

Gabe is mainly facilitating the Radio guys that are from Chiconono. He is teaching them to use the computers and all. I am going to try and help Theo, another missionary that lives next door to us, with the building projects. He is in charge of that. Weather is cold and windy, but it is winter here. We went to Lake Malawi the other day, only 60 kilometers away but it took 2 and a half hours. The water was cold to me, but to everyone else it was so warm. We snorkeled a little, and slept on the beach.

Food is good, lots of vegetables and bread. Chicken is a treat. I eat a good bit of cereal but it is kinda expensive. I can get a piece of bread for 2 meticas, and a box of cereal for 175. The exchange rate is about 26-28 meticas to the dollar. I would love a nice burrito right now. We don't get any cheese, but we have fresh milk everyday. Also our chickens lay eggs everyday, and we have fresh strawberries.

Thanks for the encouragement dad! Tell everyone I said hey and that I am missing them. I sent mom an email This morning (Sunday here) about a package. I haven't been feeling very well, I ate a nut last night in some pudding(cake) the Stellenboche team gave us. I ended up being fine after some Benedryl. Mainly I have been tired, so if you'd be praying for that.

Love you and I appreciate the emails!
Mills

No comments: