Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mills writes on August 7th...................

Oh sweet Chick-fa-la! They don't have it in SA and they asked if it was like KFC?? I nearly died. And I didn't have it much before I left because of that one being closed by us. How does it look?
When I went to check emails this morning there were only 2, but I noticed the guy in SA we run through hadn't connected to the server in 15 hours. So we ended up getting 19 emails around 12. It's funny how much our email is in the Lord's hands. More so than back at home guess.

Our water pump from the river hasn't been working and Aubi doesn't have water by his house. So this morning we went down to the river to fix the pump. We ended up having to build up the dam by swimming around behind it and finding more rocks and sandbags that had fallen. The water was so cold, really really cold. Then we had carried this 30 ft or so pipe down to dredge out the sand that kinda gets in the way of the pipe opening. We got the pump sucking up water and then I stood there and vacuumed
up the sand, lots of it, while chest deep in freezing water. Thankfully the pump is working now, and Aubi should have water soon. I'll take a picture of the dam and everything next time we go down.

Also Mignonne baked us bread, and I asked her to help me learn to do the same after they leave in a few weeks. The Lord is taking care of us for sure!

It's really interesting, this time of year the locals burn the tall grass fields. But these fields are everywhere! They light them at night and it is really incredible. There isn't a really good reason for why they do it, but it helps to kinda kill bugs. The thing is everything gets covered in the ash. I will have to try and take a picture that will do it justice. It really is incredible. We got some of the guys that live in the village to clear out the grass around the house and gardens so they
don't burn us down. We payed 3 guys 50 meticas total for about a days work. Since they were around MR and Parker's age they were so happy to receive it!

I gotta run, love you

No comments: